Skip to main content

How to Give Yourself and Your Kids a "Home Court" Advantage in Life





Growing up although I was not much of a sports person, I loved to watch basketball games.  And I still love to watch a good game.  In basketball, there is something that gives players a HUGE competitive edge in games.  It is the "home court advantage."  Statistically, NBA teams win around 60 percent of games in their home-court arenas. In the playoffs between 1999-2008, the team with home-court advantage in the playoffs won more than three out of four series. 

To give this homecourt advantage to our families we must spend time in our Father's house.  Spending time with their own families is great.  But just as advantageous can be spending time with our perfect Father in Heaven who loves us infinitely and wants to give His beloved children who come to Him every advantage He possibly can.  Also to our advantage can be having a team of "ancestor angels" who can minister to them when we are not around.

Here are some awesome promises from past general conferences about the blessings of temple and family history work for you and for your family.  I just feel so hopeful when I read these promises.  Are there any of these promises that you want for yourself or for your family?

 "It has a refining influence on those who are engaged in it." Russell M. Nelson

 "Joy and satisfaction." Neil L. Anderson

 "More closeness and joy in your family and with the divine protections afforded those who are                faithful in this service." - Quentin L. Cook

"Your testimony of and conversion to the Savior will become deep and abiding."  - David A. Bednar

"You'll find not only protection from the temptation and ills of this world, but you'll also find personal power--power to change, power to repent, power to learn, power to be sanctified, and power to turn the hearts of your family together and halt that which needs healing."  - Dale Renlund

"Your own knowledge and faith in the Savior will increase, and you will receive a more certain witness that life continues beyond the veil." - Neil L. Anderson

"I invoke a special blessing on you parents, you youth, and you children, that each of you will find joy and be blessed in every other aspect of your life as you fulfill the obligation that has been sent from heaven." - Quentin L. Cook

I promise you will be protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary.  As you participate and love this holy work you will be safeguarded in your youth and throughout your lives." - David A. Bednar

"I promise you the inspired help that you seek and need." - Henry B. Eyring


A few months ago I went on a customary trip to the temple.  It was another dreary, snowy day in a long snowy winter.  Those visiting the temple were wrapped in coats and hats.  But as I left the temple I was struck by something.  Everyone who left the temple on that snowy day looked smiling and joyous.  It was as if they could not see the snow or feel the cold.

The temple can do the same for us in our spiritual lives.  We can live a peaceful and much more joyful life amidst the trials and problems that will exist in the last days as we devote ourselves to family history work and to temple service.  Our lives will not be problem-free.  This is not the promise.  But our temple service will be like a warm coat that insulates and protects us and our families against the trials around us.  We will be protected and we will be blessed in all the affairs of our life.  I know that this is true.  So, go to your Father's house and keep on going.  Start playing your games on your own home court with a heavenly cheering squad of angels and ancestors there to bless you in all the affairs of your life. 


    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

  Yesterday I was just upset.  Our family Come Follow Me lesson on contentment (no kidding) had been a disaster.  My husband fell asleep during Come Follow Me.  My boys launched into a sock-throwing war.  Everyone was making rude and sarcastic comments.  Did NO ONE in the family appreciate my efforts to prepare this Come Follow Me lesson on contentment and gratitude?  I was certainly NOT content and I let my sarcastic remarks and tears brighten everyone's day. I felt prompted to go over to the computer.  I decided to go onto Facebook and look up a friend I had not seen in a while. We attended church together growing up but her family had been hit by extreme bad luck. They had three little boys and a girl.  Two of the children were pretty normal but the other two boys were severely handicapped and required vast amounts of time and attention.  Not long after we got to know the Howes family they discovered that David - a brilliant former Rhodes scholar - had Alzheimer's disease

A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys

  A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys I realized that I have been dropping the ball with some of my younger children and have not had expectations that they read the literature of the best and highest quality.  This has been reflected in their manners. If we want our boys (and girls) to learn kindness, honesty, and respect for others - where better than in the literature they read (and I lament the fact that many boys aren’t reading at all)?  Hopefully, we would not let our children eat a steady diet of junk food.  But are we as careful with the media that they consume?  Over the years I have put a lot of effort into studying book lists and also learning what great men have read.  Then I try to have these books available for my boys. I have taught my children to read using the Book of Mormon, and I consider that and the Bible the most important literature I will teach them. I have tried to read the Book of Mormon one time with each child: Some parents find it helpful t

5 Steps to Sound Family Finances

If family finance wasn't already bad enough, Covid hit, and now we have discovered that many people find themselves in a state of financial despair.  Lost jobs, rising prices, strange income situations - they have all taken their toll. Our family is not wealthy by any means.  We live on the salary of one engineer.  But I have found that the following principles have contributed to peace about our family finances: Give first.   We have followed this principle throughout our married life.  We give before we do anything else with our paycheck.  We have chosen to donate to our church and also give money to humanitarian aid and other worthwhile  Save for the future.   Saving 10% is a good rule of thumb. Again, the savings comes out before we do other things.  We have been saving like this for years.  Now, as our children are going off to college we aren't stressed.  We saved money for these expenses a long time ago. Budget.   For years I did not budget well (the only thing that save