Skip to main content

5 Steps to Sound Family Finances


If family finance wasn't already bad enough, Covid hit, and now we have discovered that many people find themselves in a state of financial despair.  Lost jobs, rising prices, strange income situations - they have all taken their toll. Our family is not wealthy by any means.  We live on the salary of one engineer.  But I have found that the following principles have contributed to peace about our family finances:

  1. Give first.  We have followed this principle throughout our married life.  We give before we do anything
    else with our paycheck.  We have chosen to donate to our church and also give money to humanitarian aid and other worthwhile 
  2. Save for the future.  Saving 10% is a good rule of thumb. Again, the savings comes out before we do other things.  We have been saving like this for years.  Now, as our children are going off to college we aren't stressed.  We saved money for these expenses a long time ago.
  3. Budget.  For years I did not budget well (the only thing that saved me was principle #4).  Thanks to a class that we took from our church we are now doing so much better.  There are many apps out there for budgeting.  We liked Goodbudget because we got paid bi-weekly.  Mint is another one.  But things weren't completely adding up.  So, we borrowed a friend's spreadsheet plan and used it to make our own budget.  The key to this is we have one account for occasional expenses that come during the year (holidays, vacations, education, sports and similar expenses) and one account for our bi-weekly budgeted items.  And the budget only works if you do it regularly and stick to it.
  4. Don't do Debt.  Just don't do debt.  And don't buy things you can't afford.  The only debts that make sense these days are debt for a modest home and education.  Cut up those credit cards and live simply!  
  5. Have a Supply of Essentials on Hand.  During Covid we learned the hard way that all the money in the world won't be too helpful if the stores are out of toilet paper and macaroni and cheese.  We stood in lines and panic bought with the best of them and I vowed this would not happen again.  I have a stocked storage room now and if I take something out I make a note to replace it immediately.
May these tips lead you to a happy and prosperous future!  And here is one of our favorite videos full of budgeting wisdom:
  1. .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

  Yesterday I was just upset.  Our family Come Follow Me lesson on contentment (no kidding) had been a disaster.  My husband fell asleep during Come Follow Me.  My boys launched into a sock-throwing war.  Everyone was making rude and sarcastic comments.  Did NO ONE in the family appreciate my efforts to prepare this Come Follow Me lesson on contentment and gratitude?  I was certainly NOT content and I let my sarcastic remarks and tears brighten everyone's day. I felt prompted to go over to the computer.  I decided to go onto Facebook and look up a friend I had not seen in a while. We attended church together growing up but her family had been hit by extreme bad luck. They had three little boys and a girl.  Two of the children were pretty normal but the other two boys were severely handicapped and required vast amounts of time and attention.  Not long after we got to know the Howes family they discovered that David - a brilliant former Rhodes scholar - had Alzheimer's disease

A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys

  A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys I realized that I have been dropping the ball with some of my younger children and have not had expectations that they read the literature of the best and highest quality.  This has been reflected in their manners. If we want our boys (and girls) to learn kindness, honesty, and respect for others - where better than in the literature they read (and I lament the fact that many boys aren’t reading at all)?  Hopefully, we would not let our children eat a steady diet of junk food.  But are we as careful with the media that they consume?  Over the years I have put a lot of effort into studying book lists and also learning what great men have read.  Then I try to have these books available for my boys. I have taught my children to read using the Book of Mormon, and I consider that and the Bible the most important literature I will teach them. I have tried to read the Book of Mormon one time with each child: Some parents find it helpful t