Skip to main content

The Key to Creating Marital Unity: Couple Councils

 

One of us asked our son the other day what we did well in our marriage. He was ten and he paused for a minute. I started to panic as I remembered the many tense moments in our marriage. He then said, “You guys have councils together.” I thought that was interesting. Finally! One thing we do well. 



But for me, effective couple council time is an essential part of the glue that keeps our marriage strong. We have made a real effort on Sunday mornings to have a couple council where we talk about problems, goals, and the direction that our family is headed. It’s not always pleasant but it keeps us on the same page. It is honestly one of the highlights of our marital week. 

What do we do? We have a regular time for our council. Ours is Sunday morning. We usually have a notebook where we take notes on the council discussion. One of us is the note taker. 

We start with a prayer. Involving God is crucial to the success of this time. God helps us see things differently and he creates the synergy and moments of quiet inspiration that make these councils so valuable. 

We usually talk about each of our kids. There are a few children who get some special attention that week due to issues and concerns. We never have a week where we aren’t dealing with minor or major problems but that is the fun of parenting isn’t it? Sometimes we will do a “four facet review” which we learned from Linda and Richard Eyre at ValuesParenting.com. 

We look at each child’s emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and physical development. We talk about calendaring occasionally. We also have a family council session with any family members who choose to participate. 

We address issues of concern to both of us. Often this involves spiritual issues, balance of labor, finances, personal hobbies, trips, and projects. This can also be a time to bring up things you are grateful for in your spouse or little fires that we need to put out. 

We make assignments as we go along. During the week I like to look at these assignments and then we try to follow up at the next council session. This is crucial because if we don’t do this our plans never take off. We often end the council by reviewing assignments. We try to have a time limit and not go too much over time. After a quick assignment review, we close things up. 

This may seem like a simple practice but if we approach the council time with a humble, meek attitude I am amazed at the problems we avoid. Things flow so much better because of this weekly time together. So, good luck and let me know if you have any hacks for councils. I’d love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

  Yesterday I was just upset.  Our family Come Follow Me lesson on contentment (no kidding) had been a disaster.  My husband fell asleep during Come Follow Me.  My boys launched into a sock-throwing war.  Everyone was making rude and sarcastic comments.  Did NO ONE in the family appreciate my efforts to prepare this Come Follow Me lesson on contentment and gratitude?  I was certainly NOT content and I let my sarcastic remarks and tears brighten everyone's day. I felt prompted to go over to the computer.  I decided to go onto Facebook and look up a friend I had not seen in a while. We attended church together growing up but her family had been hit by extreme bad luck. They had three little boys and a girl.  Two of the children were pretty normal but the other two boys were severely handicapped and required vast amounts of time and attention.  Not long after we got to know the Howes family they discovered that David - a brilliant former Rhodes scholar - had Alzheimer's disease

A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys

  A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys I realized that I have been dropping the ball with some of my younger children and have not had expectations that they read the literature of the best and highest quality.  This has been reflected in their manners. If we want our boys (and girls) to learn kindness, honesty, and respect for others - where better than in the literature they read (and I lament the fact that many boys aren’t reading at all)?  Hopefully, we would not let our children eat a steady diet of junk food.  But are we as careful with the media that they consume?  Over the years I have put a lot of effort into studying book lists and also learning what great men have read.  Then I try to have these books available for my boys. I have taught my children to read using the Book of Mormon, and I consider that and the Bible the most important literature I will teach them. I have tried to read the Book of Mormon one time with each child: Some parents find it helpful t

5 Steps to Sound Family Finances

If family finance wasn't already bad enough, Covid hit, and now we have discovered that many people find themselves in a state of financial despair.  Lost jobs, rising prices, strange income situations - they have all taken their toll. Our family is not wealthy by any means.  We live on the salary of one engineer.  But I have found that the following principles have contributed to peace about our family finances: Give first.   We have followed this principle throughout our married life.  We give before we do anything else with our paycheck.  We have chosen to donate to our church and also give money to humanitarian aid and other worthwhile  Save for the future.   Saving 10% is a good rule of thumb. Again, the savings comes out before we do other things.  We have been saving like this for years.  Now, as our children are going off to college we aren't stressed.  We saved money for these expenses a long time ago. Budget.   For years I did not budget well (the only thing that save