Skip to main content

Becoming Minnesota "Tough"

Here I am standing with relatives on the site of the original family dugout


I was out running yesterday.  I am trying to train for a half marathon.  As I was running an elderly gentleman in a truck rolled down his window and said something like, "Are you from Alaska?"  I kind of laughed, thrown off by what he meant.  Then I looked around and realized that there was snow on the ground and my hands were a bit numb.  I had been running in the cold and hadn't even noticed.  Immediately I felt rather proud - I was becoming "Minnesota Tough."

I first heard this term on a trip to Minnesota this past year.  There I learned about my ancestors from Minnesota - Anton Anderson and Maren Lund.  I learned that they came from Norway in the 1800s and settled in Western Minnesota.  They started out in Minnesota in a little dugout.  They endured blizzards, grasshoppers and an extremely inhospitable climate.  The family eventually grew to eight children.  They built a lovely frame home and then Maren died.  Anton shouldered the task of raising these children alone. Their descendants continued the legacy of farming and cultivating the harsh landscape.  As I was visiting their town in Minnesota there were two sweet little grandmothers standing next to me.  They told me about some other hardships endured by early settlers and said that these settlers were "Minnesota tough."

I have always considered myself kind of a wimp who liked warm bathrobes and fires and reading books.  "Wow! I thought.  I am related to these people?"  I took this term back home and "Minnesota Tough" has become kind of an obsession with my family.  My son tells me I shouldn't wear gloves or a jacket running - I need to be "Minnesota Tough."  My daughter doesn't want to do a work project.  She can be "Minnesota Tough."  All of us at home are trying to be more "Minnesota Tough."

I don't think this is so much a story about me as it is an evidence of the power of family stories in our lives.  Each of us can learn about our capabilities from stories in our past.  We can draw deeply from the waters of yesterday to make our todays more interesting and more beautiful.

I have heard many ancestor stories over the years.  Each story contains a multitude of messages.  My grandfather left my grandmother for another woman.  She never spoke ill of him in all the years that I knew her.  (Be Faithful, Forgive).  My great-grandmother who enjoyed life to the fullest and despite many setbacks and disappointments was still dancing in her 90s ("You gotta make your own happiness").  My great-grandmother from Czechoslovakia who opened a bakery later in life and crocheted beautifully, she married in the nursing home ("Your last years can be your best years," "Create").  

One of the richest legacies that we can find and share with our children are the stories of our ancestors.  What have you learned from your ancestors?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

  Yesterday I was just upset.  Our family Come Follow Me lesson on contentment (no kidding) had been a disaster.  My husband fell asleep during Come Follow Me.  My boys launched into a sock-throwing war.  Everyone was making rude and sarcastic comments.  Did NO ONE in the family appreciate my efforts to prepare this Come Follow Me lesson on contentment and gratitude?  I was certainly NOT content and I let my sarcastic remarks and tears brighten everyone's day. I felt prompted to go over to the computer.  I decided to go onto Facebook and look up a friend I had not seen in a while. We attended church together growing up but her family had been hit by extreme bad luck. They had three little boys and a girl.  Two of the children were pretty normal but the other two boys were severely handicapped and required vast amounts of time and attention.  Not long after we got to know the Howes family they discovered that David - a brilliant former Rhodes scholar - had Alzheimer's disease

A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys

  A Character-Building Summer Reading List for Boys I realized that I have been dropping the ball with some of my younger children and have not had expectations that they read the literature of the best and highest quality.  This has been reflected in their manners. If we want our boys (and girls) to learn kindness, honesty, and respect for others - where better than in the literature they read (and I lament the fact that many boys aren’t reading at all)?  Hopefully, we would not let our children eat a steady diet of junk food.  But are we as careful with the media that they consume?  Over the years I have put a lot of effort into studying book lists and also learning what great men have read.  Then I try to have these books available for my boys. I have taught my children to read using the Book of Mormon, and I consider that and the Bible the most important literature I will teach them. I have tried to read the Book of Mormon one time with each child: Some parents find it helpful t

5 Steps to Sound Family Finances

If family finance wasn't already bad enough, Covid hit, and now we have discovered that many people find themselves in a state of financial despair.  Lost jobs, rising prices, strange income situations - they have all taken their toll. Our family is not wealthy by any means.  We live on the salary of one engineer.  But I have found that the following principles have contributed to peace about our family finances: Give first.   We have followed this principle throughout our married life.  We give before we do anything else with our paycheck.  We have chosen to donate to our church and also give money to humanitarian aid and other worthwhile  Save for the future.   Saving 10% is a good rule of thumb. Again, the savings comes out before we do other things.  We have been saving like this for years.  Now, as our children are going off to college we aren't stressed.  We saved money for these expenses a long time ago. Budget.   For years I did not budget well (the only thing that save